World Cancer Day is an international day marked on February 4th to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment. The day aims to save millions of preventable deaths each year by raising awareness and education about the disease, pressing governments and individuals worldwide to take action. The day encourages individuals to take personal responsibility for their health and the health of others.
How to Decrease Cancer Risks?
There are several ways to lower your risk of cancer, including:
Eating a Healthy Diet
Eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in processed foods and red meat can help lower your risk of cancer.
Physical activity has been linked to a lower risk of breast and colon cancer.
Maintaining a Healthy Weight
Obesity increases the risk of several types of cancer, including breast, colon, and endometrial cancer.
Not Smoking or Using Tobacco
Smoking is the leading cause of preventable deaths worldwide and is linked to several types of cancer, including lung, throat, and bladder cancer.
Limiting Alcohol Consumption
Heavy alcohol use increases the risk of several types of cancer, including breast, liver, and colon cancer.
Protecting Yourself From The Sun
UV rays from the sun can damage your skin and increase your risk of skin cancer.
Vaccines such as HPV and hepatitis B can lower the risk of certain cancers.
Regular Cancer Screenings
Regular cancer screenings, such as mammograms, colonoscopies, and PSA tests, can help detect cancer early when it is most treatable. It’s important to note that cancer risk is multifactorial and not all risks can be controlled. Some people may have a higher risk due to their genetics, family history, or other factors.
Reasons for Increasing Percentage of Cancer
There are several reasons why the percentage of cancer cases is increasing:
Cancer may also spread because of chronic inflammation. That means a type of inflammation that takes too much time i.e months or years to recover or never gets any recovery may cause a cancerous inflammation. You must take it seriously if it lasts for months. The time of recovery may vary from individual to individual but you must check on time if something is not healing even within months.
A considerable cause of cancer is the weak or immature immune system. Such people who have weak immune systems are usually less stable in fighting against their infections or diseases. This may lead to severe disorders i.e. malnutrition, genetic problems, diabetes, AIDS, and Cancer. So such types of patients are more likely to have risks of Cancer. They should treat their inflammations very quickly and properly. People who are addicted to drugs are at a high risk of having this fatal disease.
An Aging Population
As the global population ages, the number of cancer cases is also increasing. This is because cancer is more common in older adults, and the risk of developing cancer increases with age.
When people don’t take a health-friendly diet they can have serious health problems including very critical disorders. Cancer is also one of those diseases that are caused by the intake of an unhealthy diet. Your diet must be rich in proteins, vitamins, fats, calcium, and other necessary nutrients your body needs for a pepper functioning.
Changes in lifestyle, such as increased tobacco use, poor diet, and lack of physical activity, have led to an increase in the number of cancer cases.
Increased Exposure to Environmental Toxins
People are exposed to a wide range of environmental toxins, such as pollutants, pesticides, and chemicals, which can increase the risk of cancer.
Increase in Cancer Screening
With the advancement in technology and medicine, cancer screening has become more accessible and affordable. This has led to an increase in the number of cancer cases detected, which may give the impression that cancer is on the rise.
Some people may have a higher risk of cancer due to their genetics and family history. It’s important to note that despite the increase in the number of cancer cases, death rates from cancer have been declining due to advancements in cancer treatment and early detection.
Role of UICC
The World Cancer Day campaign is organized by the Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) which is an international non-government organization dedicated to leading the fight against cancer. The organization works with cancer organizations, governments, and other partners to raise awareness of cancer and to advocate for greater resources to combat the disease. The UICC also works to improve the quality of life of cancer patients and to support research on cancer and its causes, prevention, and treatment.
2023 Cancer Campaign
The theme for the cancer campaign in 2023 is “Uniting our voices and taking action”. This means we’ll encourage our friends and other people to raise their voices against the violation of healthy lifestyles. The 2023 Cancer campaign is not just for raising voices but also for making authentic actions that will help to reduce the annual percentage of Cancer over the world.
Services By UICC To Fight Against Cancer
The Union for International Cancer Control (UICC) is an international non-government organization that is dedicated to leading the fight against cancer. The organization has several key responsibilities, including:
- Raising awareness of cancer: The UICC works to raise awareness of cancer and its impact on individuals, families, and communities. This includes promoting the importance of cancer prevention, early detection, and treatment.
- Advocating for greater resources: The UICC advocates for greater resources to be dedicated to the fight against cancer, including funding for cancer research and the development of new cancer treatments.
- Improving the quality of life of cancer patients: The UICC works to improve the quality of life of cancer patients, including through the provision of information and support services for patients and their families.
- Supporting cancer research: The UICC supports research on cancer and its causes, prevention, and treatment. This includes funding research projects and supporting the development of new cancer treatments.
- Building capacity: The UICC works to build capacity in low- and middle-income countries to help them effectively fight cancer. This includes providing training and education programs for healthcare professionals and supporting the development of cancer control programs in these countries.
- Collaboration: UICC is a global platform for collaboration and networking, UICC brings together a wide range of stakeholders including cancer organizations, governments, NGOs, and public health experts to work together to fight cancer.
- Policy and advocacy: UICC engages in policy and advocacy activities to ensure that cancer is prioritized on the global health and development agenda.
Alarming Symptoms for Cancer
Here are some symptoms that you should never ignore if noticed. Because these are the reasons that may cause cancer in a normal person. It’s possible to note these enlisted symptoms at the just beginning of the disease but may also be noticed even at the last stages of cancer which is a fatal disease. The symptoms are as follows
- Difficulty in Swallowing or Indigestion.
- A non-healing sore.
- Unusual bleeding or discharge from the body.
- Lump/Thicking in the breast or somewhere else in your body.
- A change in mole or wart.
- Hoarseness or Nagging Cough.
- Changes in bowel or bladder habits.
- Yellowing, red, and darkening of skin color.
- Unintended gain or loss of weight.
- Constant Fever.
These are some alarming situations when you’ve to think critically and go for a complete diagnosis of Cancer. Whenever you notice all these or any of these on regular basis don’t ignore them and take them seriously.
How WCD is Celebrated Across the World?
World Cancer Day is celebrated on the 4th of February every year over the world. People make sure to spread awareness about Cancer, its causes, symptoms, and recovery methods. On February 4, 2023. All the NGOs, National, International, Organizational, and specialized medical teams are coming together to spread awareness about Cancer to guide people about the possibilities of recovery and to follow the precautionary measures to be safe from it. Over the world, there are different traditions that are associated with the celebration of World Cancer Day 2023 that includes:
- Awareness Seminars.
- Multiple International Campaigns.
- Advertisements (Through Social Media Platforms).
- Cancer Awareness Campaigns.
Frequently Asked Questions
When Is World Cancer Day?
World Cancer Day is celebrated every year on 4th February. WCD- 2023 is on Saturday, and the previous days for world cancer day 2022 and world cancer day 2021 were Friday and Thursday, respectively.
Is Today World Cancer Day?
WCD-2023 is on Saturday, 4th of FEB.
Cancer is a fatal disease that may cause death. For spreading worldwide awareness about cancer every year World Cancer Day is celebrated on 4th February. On this day, awareness about Cancer, its symptoms, precautions, and reasons are spread across the world. Hence, World Cancer Day February 4, 2023, is the day of cancer awareness for this year. So let’s play your role and save people from such type of fetal disease.